Sunday, April 20, 2008

"Berlin"

On page 136, in the bedroom, when she is trying to draw Herr Severing, several of the panels really interest me. Some of the panels of her are blurry, almost sketch-like. Severing keeps saying he cannot see her, and he does not have his glasses on, so these panels/pictures may be from his point of view, from his eyes. He cannot see her clearly because he is not wearing his glasses. But in my opinion, the blurry pictures look more like sketches. Even though the pictures are of her, I believe they are from her as well. They are sketches, and that is what she does. She is the artist, sketching what she sees. But one thing that disturbs me, is one panel on pg. 137. It is another sketch of her, but she looks not like how the other illustrations in the book portray her. She looks angry, calculating, and honestly, evil. Maybe this si just how I perceive the picture, but that is actually what I am doing my final project on. How pictures can tell a story, how people piece the story together for themselves (thir own, individual interpertation) and how different people perceive the pictures differently. While I may look at the specific panel on page 137 as evil and malicious, others might view her as just looking stern or concentrating. That is one of the great things about comic books and the pictures they provide. The story and pictures are interperted in many different ways to each individual person who reads them.

No comments: