Sunday, April 6, 2008

Wrap up of "Fun Home"

Soooo.....I was sick all last week, so that gave me time to finish the book. I still dont like how she writes. For a graphic novel there are too many words, and reads too muchy like a novel. The pictures are very simple, which was refreshing and interesting how it connected with teh text, but most of the time I felt like I could just skip the pictures and not really miss anything connected to the story. (But dont worry, Spencer, I didnt skip the pictures....lol) Also, I did not enjoy all of her literary references to Proust. Maybe it's just me who's never read the book that she was refering to, but I couldn't make the connection. (I did like her referal to "The Importance of Being Earnest" bc I'm reading it for Eng 210, and I never would have picked up on the homosexual aspect of the play if she hadnt refered to it.) I still didnt like how at the end of the book her father's death and own sexuality was linked to hers. I think the argument of one's sexuality as hereditary is very interesting, yet, in my opinion, unfounded. One person si there own, unique, individual. And i thought it very selfish of the author to link her own unique exploration and journey with sexuality with her father's. She cannot have known everything that he went through. And I found it very selfish the way she spoke of her father's death. There is no possible way she could have known what was going through his head at the time, even if it was an accident or on purpose. And in one point in the book she finds a way to link his death with her sexuality....I found that rude and unfair.
ps....There were several panels that were WAY too graphic for my taste....

No comments: